Our League Race
The race is approximately 4 miles long down the Glaslyn Estuary from Porthmadog inner harbour, down the main channel following marker buoys to Borth Y Gest and then on to the turning point as instructed to return to the Oakley Wharf area of the harbour.
GENERAL LOCATION: Porthmadog Harbour
NAME AND LOCATION OF LAUNCHING SITE/BOAT CLUB: Porthmadog Yacht/Sailing Club, Public Slipway
LAUNCHING SITE/BOAT CLUB (LAT/LONG): N 52°05’00” W 04°07’00”
NEAREST LAND TELEPHONE NUMBER: Madog Yacht Club – Porthmadog: 01766 512976
NEAREST HELICOPTER LANDING SITE (LAT/LONG): N 52°55’25” W 04°07’49”
NEAREST ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY HOSPITAL: Ysbyty Gwynedd – Bangor: 01248 384 384 / Ysbyty Alltwen – Tremadog: 01766 510 101
1. The arrival of boats will be supervised by two stewards who will instruct competitors to their designated parking locations and boat/trailer parking. They will inform competitors of the facilities available and registration area. With the above stewards in place this activity is deemed to be low risk.
2. There will be a committee boat (Name TBC) moored near the turning mark on channel buoy No8. Communications will be via cellphone and VHF.
3. The race will have a lead boat (Quicksilver fisher “Sali Mali”). Communications will be via cellphone and VHF. All relevant race flags will be on board.
4. There will be two safety boats (RIBS), manned with competent boat handlers & Safety Officers. Communications will be via cellphone and VHF. The Criccieth RNLI lifeboat will also be monitoring the race, but will be on call to other emergencies.
5. The coxes briefing will highlight the roles and locations of the above, this will take place at approx 12:00pm.
6. A race marshal/warden will be ushering boats to the start line from Britannia Bridge area.
7. 1st Aiders will be available on safety boat and on shore. Beach masters will also be onshore with VHF communications.
The coxes briefing and safety cover will substantially reduce the risk associated with any water and navigation hazards.
All the relevant authorities will be warned of the race approximately two weeks prior to the event.
(Harbour master, Coastguard, RNLI, Police and Beach Patrol)
Since all of the hazards and risks involved are increased in adverse weather conditions the final decision to run the race or to cancel will be made at 7:00am on the morning of the race. This decision will be made by an experienced club member and his/her decision will be final.